Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Young Professional?

Yesterday morning I, along with fellow new employees, had breakfast with the executives of our company, AG Financial. The breakfast consisted of chatting with the executives while munching on bagels and fruit. It made me feel grown up and professional. I had a good time and even made a couple of the execs laugh.

After breakfast, I left AGF and headed to the office. On the way I decided to make a stop at the Mudhouse because I had not been there in a long time and it was on my way. While I was waiting in line, a girl behind me started talking to me. She began by asking me which drink I preferred. Being the friendly person that I am, I obliged her and answered. I went on to say that the Mudhouse is one of my favorite places and since I was on my way to work I thought I would stop. This girl continued asking me questions about my job and I, of course, answered. I thought it was a bit strange, but continued in the conversation. She then asked if I had a business card. Unfortunately, I do not and was weirded out by the question. To this she went on to say that there is a young professionals banquet coming up and asked if I might want to attend. Apparently, there will be young people, such as myself (she said), who are looking to network with others.

I hadn't thought of myself as a young professional until this incident. I guess being a twenty-something with a full-time job in insurance would make me a 'young professional.'

Maybe I'm growing up...

No comments: